Pages

Monday, May 13, 2013

A Belated Happy Mother's Day

This past week, M's parents were in town for a visit. They left yesterday, but not before we were able to celebrate Mother's Day together over brunch. It felt so surreal, celebrating Mother's Day as both a mother and a daughter. I don't think I've ever understood before how Mother's Day is not just a celebration of mothers, but also a celebration of children. I wouldn't be a mother without Lucy. I feel so grateful to her for giving me this amazing gift.

{my mom and I}

People have asked if I feel nervous about motherhood, and I guess in some ways I do. By that I mean that I feel the tremendous weight of it, the significance of our relationship and my responsibility to always nurture, love, and protect her. But in many ways, I am not nervous at all. I have an amazing example in my own mother. I already know how to be a mother because of her. 

Selflessness. That's what she has taught me about motherhood. There is a kind of death that all mothers understand, and by that I mean that they give their life for their children every minute of every day. It is such a beautiful picture of Christ, how he gave His life for us. That kind of love is so powerful. There is nothing else like it. 


Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers! Especially to my own mother - you are the strongest, most beautiful and selfless woman that I have ever met. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment