Monday, January 21, 2013

Roman Shades

Hello there. Hope you are enjoying your long weekend. I certainly am :)

Our entire weekend has been consumed with a project - Roman shades for Baby Girl's room. I have never made Roman shades before. I thought it looked easy enough. Actually, I was planning to use this neat little trick, which involves gluing fabric and blackout liner to bamboo shades. However, the windows in our house (which was built in the 1960's) are not standard size, which means we could not find any bamboo shades to fit unless we had them custom-made.


Once I realized that the easy road was out, I began looking for some comprehensive online tutorials. I found and decided to use this one. I am not great at sewing, but I was able to combine my very basic skills with M's awesome talent for handyman projects. 


The fabric we chose was Fun Floret by Waverly. I was originally looking for something a little more neutral, but I decided the pretty blue would add a nice pop of color to the space. We still need to install another blackout liner behind the shades before Baby Girl arrives. This is our Eastern-facing bedroom, so it gets a ton of direct sunlight. This could make daytime naps a challenge! 


There's still plenty of work to do before we're finished, but I promise to post more pictures soon :)


Happy long weekend! 


No comments:

Post a Comment